Skip to main content

1 Week Left to Live

A photograph, home movie, road trip, an email or text. What do these have in common? Usually these hold remarkable memories that help you bookmark important events with friends or loved ones. When we revisit these memories, we long for the days that these memories possess. We suspire for the chance to go back and relive that specific time or place.

I had the chance to try this out with a very dear friend of mine. I went back through the memories and outlined the parts that meant something to me. I had the ability to not only sojourn these memories, but to explain to my friend why these particular memories meant so much. We called upon both the good and the uncomfortable and I had the blessing to be able to speak about how it impacted our friendship and how our lives are better for the events that brought elation as well as the aftermath of wading through some incommodious obstacles. I am confident to say that we have secured a new level of appreciation for each other after taking this trip. My dear friend put it this way, "This is a conversation most people wait to have until they get the news that they have 1 week left to live."

When I asked my friend that I wanted to talk, I doubt that they had in mind the conversation I was about to have with them. I had this drive that I needed to lay it all out. I needed to let them know that what has been a great journey has not gone unnoticed and is still to this day appreciated. While talking, I knew I had to do this with other people in my life. I realized that I go through life enjoying these memories, but rarely sharing them (along with how they have affected me) with the person I spent them with. I need to have more "1 week" talks while there is still (God willing) more life to live with my loved ones.

The best part about the talk I had was the time I had to dwell on it later that day. Everything was starting to sink in. Slowly, parts of our conversation started to sink into my mind and I could focus on reactions and specific statements made by my friend. It truly is a disentangling of emotions and a very tranquil feeling that envelops you.

My challenge is to continue this project. I do not plan to do this all in one week or in a very short amount of time. I want to put the full amount of effort that I know I am capable of employing. So if I ask you if we could talk one on one, you might want to buckle up and enjoy your time in the passenger seat, because we will be taking a cruise down memory lane.

Photography - The Starting Line

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song