Skip to main content

Waiting on the World to Change.

Today, I broke down.

I cried uncontrollably. 


I'm okay with admitting it. This happens to all of us at one point in time. 


We always dream of life changing events. "One day, I'll have enough money to move out of here." 

"I'm getting married in 6 months." 
"Retirement is just around the corner."

Others dread life changing events. I conversed with 2 men today that were cut down both physically and mentally. I kept thinking, this could very well happen to me, or to any of the other people that I've been talking to lately. It happened to them, and it sucks.


One guy told me this, "Infections spread fast. Amputated at my hips. Lying here in bed looking at a flat blanket where my legs used to be. I have no stumps even for prosthetic sockets. It is horrible. They had me in a wheelchair and in the hall and lobby today to get me out. I saw myself in the mirror, it was difficult. In the lobby people stared at me. I was diagnosed Type 1 6 weeks ago."


Around the same time that this man was diagnosed, I was having serious issues with my feet. I had a really bad fever which caused painful water blisters to form under my skin on the bottoms of my feet. I couldn't walk without being in a lot of pain. My mind immediately went to amputation. I had to wait 3 days for my doctor's appointment and during that time I was expecting the worst. I remember crying on the phone at the thought of not being able to run around the yard with Parker or not being able to help Kristin out with a long hospital recovery. It is a very serious thing for diabetics. In the span of 3 days, this man had the start of an infection and his legs taken from him. 3 DAYS! Eventually I saw my endocrinologist and she said it wasn't anything diabetic related. I was relieved. Even though the water blisters are gone, when I wake up in the morning, I still feel a little sting on my feet when they touch the floor, nerve damage. 


A different amputee that I talked to today said that his infection started, he waited a week until his toes were black and went in. The doctors first took his toes, then realized it spread to his leg, mid shin. He went back under and is now living with this new change. I was reading up on the events leading up to his amputation. 



This is very much censored, you not only get to see what is on the mind of everyone with this disease, but most of all, the person who has to have this procedure. 

"I need prayers now, bad. hella scared. I'm getting took to surgery now I'm sooooo scared plz pray for me this is messed up."

"good news I didn't die in surgery the bad news in true diabetic fashion they amputated all 5 toes on left foot"

"day before yesterday on Tuesday they cut my toes off of my left foot now they're saying this infection is trying to shut down my heart and now my leg gotta go and that might save my life smh"

In all the years I've been diabetic, I've tried to hide from the horrors that diabetes can give to a person. Unfortunately, during that time, I've also neglected to treat the disease the way it should have been treated. I'm praying with all my might it doesn't come back to haunt me. Since then, I've been a better diabetic. Constant checking of sugars and treating when necessary. I've been working out and trying to stay stress free. I'm not surviving the disease, I'm controlling it so I can live with the disease. 



As I was talking with this guy who had his legs taken, I could hear the shock, the disbelief, and the shame in his voice. I was able to lighten the mood with him and get his mind off of things. He told me that he appreciated my humor and inspiring him. I'm definitely not tooting my own horn, but I gave him advice that I've had to learn the hard way with being a diabetic. Unfortunately, I've only recently figured this out for myself. I'm just glad that the Lord gave me an opportunity to help this man. This is what I told him:


"People will look, but probably wondering what happened. You should come up with a cool story like an alligator had you in a death roll. You decided to give it your legs for an appetizer but the main course was to go. Also, you don't have to worry about blisters, stubbing a toe, getting your shin slammed into anything. I'm trying to find some positives out of this. Obviously it's okay to mourn the loss of limbs and not be okay with it. Finding the mindset to rise above and to continue on is going to be hard but when you are there, you'll be okay. With this disease we are survivors. It certainly takes stuff from us, but we don't let it take us down.


It shouldn't be embarrassing. And, don't let yourself put words on how people look at you. That won't help. You are still YOU. Just because you don't have your legs, doesn't mean your personality, beliefs, and worth are gone. You are another survivor with scars to prove it. This disease could've killed you, but you rose up to it and gave it a resounding middle finger. Don't let the stares stop you from being the man you are.


Just remember, it's easy to focus on the negative. Challenge yourself with finding the positives. It may not be the biggest thing, start little. For instance, you are still alive today, and you don't have to worry about athlete's foot. Smiling will always help."


It wasn't easy trying to be light hearted around this guy. Trust me, I was holding back tears trying to help him out. I'm glad I wasn't in the same room as him, to be honest. Although I wish I could give him a hug and tell him everything will be okay.


Like these 2 guys, this disease has almost taken my life as well. We rise above because we won't let it drown us out. Pray for these guys and for anyone with any sort of disease. Count the blessings you have been given, and don't take them for granted.


I'm going to go for a run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song