Skip to main content

U-S-A! MINI SO TAHHHH! RAH CHESSS TERRRR!

Nestled on the corner of 3rd Avenue SE and Arena Drive SE, unbeknownst to most of the world, save a hundred or so people, America defended home ice against Finland. ESPN didn't create headlines about it and other media outlets never showed interest. In fact, I never knew about it until 2:30 that afternoon. I made the necessary arrangements (aka I called my wife to make sure I could go.) Since the game was at 8:00 PM, I was cleared to go. I was stoked. How often do you get to go to a game of this caliber?

I arrived to the arena and was immediately greeted by a front row, next to the doors, parking spot! This may be great to some, but not nearly exciting....unless it is -15 without windchill, then it's like winning the lottery. I hustle to the rink to watch the Zamboni resurface the ice and grab a seat. Here I was, sitting at just the right height, so I could see above the glass at center ice; everybody else, in the way back. As game time approached, a bunch of kids gather in the bottom 3 rows filling the air with energy. "USA! USA! USA!" 3 sections over to the right, the chant is immediately followed by, "Hyvae Suomi!" The chants start by going back and forth until they mix together into one loud pre-adolescent shout. The players on the ice feed off of the energy as they battle for the puck. The adults take pictures and smile.

Finland nets the first goal and their fans go crazy, but not as much as their hockey team. They proved to USA that they were here to win on unfamiliar soil, but on an all too familiar sheet of ice. Team USA picks up the hint and they immediately go back to work. Passing with precision, dangling, sniping, scoring. The shouts of "USA" ring out which become more localized to "Mini sotaaaa" then closer to home "Rah chest errrr". 

Just then, a little kid, no older than 6 or 7 raises a Finnish flag and takes to the jogging track above the rink. Waving the flag proudly, he does two laps while the fans cheer him and the team on. The energy starts to rise, it is absolutely electric, and infectious. As the child comes back to the bleachers, he hands it off to another Finnish child and he does a lap. The flag doesn't stop flapping on that jogging track until all 13 kids take a lap, cheering on their country.

As the game wears on, the children slowly find their way home, due to their parent's curfew. In the end of an exciting, hard fought game, team Finland wins 6-5. Although the score reflected that kind of victory, every participant in that game left a little bit prouder of the fact that they were able to experience something the rest of the world had no clue was going on. Some kids came off the ice wanting their penalty called differently so that they could be out there to help their team, others wanted their wristers or slapshots to tuck down a little more to get right under the crossbar, while others wished they hadn't given up that one pass. They, as true athletes do, wanted to be better for their country, their team. As they picked apart the game, the adults had a different kind of glow about them. Their child just played a one-of-a-kind game of hockey against kids they never even knew about. Kids that didn't even speak the same language as them.

The Finnish team wasn't done though, the battle was won, but the war was not over. Their next stop was to take on teams in Canada. They had a thirst to see how hockey is played in the U.S. and Canada, and they wanted their footprint, their style of hockey, to be seen, even if it was only by a select few.

I left that night feeling like I witnessed future Olympians, seeing how kids can come together, cheer for their country, and still respect each other and the game they play. I'm especially proud to call one of the U.S. players my student, who was also named a top 100 player in the state of Minnesota!

Exiting the arena, shuffling to the car in the now colder negative temps, I drove out of the parking lot and onto 3rd avenue with a big smile because I witnessed Team USA vs. Team Finland, and was one of around a 100 to experience the energy and talent in that arena.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song