Skip to main content

The power of words.

The average day minstrel tries to pen the words that will break all barriers, to speak deeply to the one they want to entrance. A child learns words so they can communicate with their parents. Those with an expiration date choose them like a seasoning to a perfect meal. Yet, others use them to cut deeply; blame others; and inevitably tear down strong walls of trust to replace them brick by brick with faulty lies and bitter resentment.

I once remember focusing on the phrase, "A still, small, voice to cry one day for me." A baby in the night, needing its mom for nurturing; a dad for confident hugs; and a genuine love from each parent. A baby, that will eventually become an unsure teen that wants nothing more than to be right. They will outwardly turn away competent advice, but inwardly treasure its importance and potential impact. That teen turns into an adult that needs to have the answers, but their father and mother's number on speed dial is used more often than any number in their phonebook. An adult turns into an aged person. They've lived it, they've seen it, they have advice and ready in an instant to give their 2 cents. Our life has certain words and phrases for each moment in our short timeline. We are constantly told to use them wisely, and every moment hangs in the balance when they are used. 

That still, small, voice was used more than once. In fact, that still, small voice was prominently used in the beginning and at the end of Jesus's life. In the beginning the cry was to announce God made flesh; and the last, to announce his victory over sin, death, and the devil. Some people think that words of importance need to be shouted and forceful, but there is an argument against that kind of thinking. 1Kings 19:11-12, "The Lord said, 'Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.'  Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." In this day and age, so many people are shouting things and using words to tear down, yet if you think about it, if you whisper, people really need to be listening to hear it. The room needs to be quiet; focus and attention needs to be on high alert; and the brain needs to process the weight of the whisper. I am a firm believer that more people will listen to a whisper than abhorrent yelling, yet I often forget that.

Yelling, it feels good. The endorphins are running high, and there is something empowering about it. Yet, yelling positive messages instead hateful tones rarely occurs. There is something so easy about tearing someone down to gather their mess and build your pedestal higher so that the spotlight is on you. The worse part is that you crave that attention daily. 2 Timothy 3 reminds us: "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people...You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings - what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training unrighteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

The easy path leads to destruction, and the difficult path brings an abundance of treasure in the end. The easy way leads to unhealthy habits; whereas, the tough path strengthens and sharpens a person. The easy way allows room for being in the spotlight and so does the tough path, but the tough path's spotlight is one of persecution. A persecution where sticks, stones, and words will leave you bloodied, bruised, and beaten. Is this the spotlight that sounds fun to you? In the same breath, the tough path allows for words of encouragement to be spoken, because you have to actively choose the specific order of words to make it encouraging. Negative wording comes easy, carefully thought out sentences take time. In giving your words your time and attention, your listener may recognize the effort, and the sheer volume of the message grows with their appreciation. So, a choice of words needs to be made, and it only takes a split second to raise up or beat down.

In the words of one of my favorite songs, "Sing like you think no one's listening!" Allow praise to flow freely and relentlessly! Pick anything from a small detail to the elephant in the room and proclaim the good the Lord has done! "Pay close attention to your life and to your teaching. Persevere in these things, for by so doing you will save BOTH yourself and those who hear you." (1 Timothy 4:16) 

The power of words can penetrate the thickest barrier, soothe the soul, give aide to the wounded, and lift up the deepest entrenched life. What an honor it is to be the vessel that uses words to do such that. Use your still, small, voice; the whisper. The people who hear those words are the ones that WANT to hear it and listen. Let me leave you with an inspiration for your voice from the words of St. Francis of Assisi:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song