Skip to main content

Sing Like You Think No One's Listening

If you recognize the title of this post, and you know me, you would know that this is part of a song called, "Existentialism on Prom Night". This statement, although short, has a profound message not only to music, but also life. You see, when I am home alone, I love to blare my music and sing at the top of my lungs. When I was little, I would take long showers so that I could sing the song "Amazing Grace" over and over. I was alone and felt as though this was my time to shine. I forgot that people were around the house and at the top of my lungs and from the core of my heart I would start the first stanza, "Aaaamaaaaziiiyiiing Graaaaaaace........" you get the point. Whether it's in the shower; cleaning the house; driving in the car; or sitting here at the computer; singing, while alone, is always our best moment to shine because no one is judging or criticizing us for being a bit off on our pitch, or not knowing all the words. It's all about being able to express yourself in a way that allows you to feel the music the way you want to feel it, the way you think it is supposed to be felt.

I'm going to quote a little more of this song to emphasize the different ways in which we can sing in life.

Sing me something soft,
Sad and delicate,
Or loud and out of key,
Sing me anything,
we're glad for what we've got,
Done with what we've lost
Our whole lives laid out right in front of us

How many times, in life, has this small, yet profound verse related to you in life. Now, if you've listened to this song by Straylight Run, this part (musically) starts after a slow, dreamy break to get you ready for this emotionally filled statement and then the band erupts into "SING LIKE YOU THINK NO ONE'S LISTENING!" The reasoning, in my opinion, is that in life we create our own song. We sometimes sing timidly around others when, instead, we are supposed to blaring our anthem. The song is trying to tell us, who cares if it's a soft spoken verse, something sad, something we may feel to be boring. This is your life, sing it loud, sing it so loud you go out of key. Be proud of the footsteps you have taken. Now some of the paths we take in life may be choices we'd rather not sing so loudly about. I know I have a few verses in life that I'd rather keep out of the song I share with others. Instead, I have learned and sing of how I've learned from my mistakes. I sing of triumph over misery, unlike what most people sing about on Facebook or other social media. For some reason, people have been singing about depressing things going on in life. Why?! You have everything in front of you. The cards have been dealt. In poker you don't use your worst hand to show everyone. You fold, don't tell anyone, and move on. The same thing is being portrayed in this song. Why sing of sad things?! Sing of the beautiful things in life. You have the choice to sing about anything!

I want you to take a break right now and listen to this song. Watch the music video (it's amazing!), listen to it multiple times and focus in on each person in the band [The piano, guitar, drums, bass, singer(s)] and feel each emotion. For instance, the dream-like flow of the piano, the staccato to emphasize certain words, the rise in pitch, the certain parts they use for harmony, the marching beat of the drums to tell you to go and sing. (Before you click the link, right click it and open in new tab.) Existentialism on Prom Night

So, in the song of life, are you willing to sing like no one's listening. I assure you, people are waiting to hear of your beautiful verses intertwined around a powerful chorus and, maybe, you can throw a strong bridge in there somewhere. Sing of things that people would sit and air drum to (or guitar). Sing something people want to dance to, something that brings a smile to their face and heart. Sing proudly! SiNg OuT Of KeY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song