Skip to main content

Down to the River

Today I witnessed a baptism in church. This wasn't any ordinary baptism. This baptism was for some friends of ours. They just had a baby girl about a week and a half ago and so I paid extra attention to everything that was going on. Why? Mostly because I will be the one going through this miraculous ritual whenever my little one decides to join us. As we were going through the service of baptism I realized the words that were spoken. Yes, the same words that I've repeated countless times, in a robotic sort of way. For those of us who sometimes fall into that mindset of going through the motions, I thought I would touch on some of the parts of what we say during this special occasion.

First off, the Minister starts off with the confession of sins and rightly so. After all, during baptism we are drowning our sinful nature, putting to death all it's evil deeds. The pastor says, "Our Savior Jesus commanded baptism when he said: "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." (This was spoken in the Great Commission in Matthew 28:16-20) The pastor continues: "All of us are born into this world with a deep need for baptism. From our parents we inherit a sinful nature; we are without true fear of God and true faith in God and are condemned to eternal death.(Psalm 51:5 - "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.") But Jesus took away our sin by giving his life on the cross. At our baptism he clothes us with the robe of his righteousness and gives us a new life. Our sinful nature need not control us any longer. ( Ephesians 2:1-10 )

You see, we are dead in our sins from conception. The only way to Christ is through baptism and God's Word. Christ suffered on our behalf, he took all his sins on him so that we wouldn't have to pay the price we could never afford to pay. Through that, he mediates for us when it comes to our relationship with God. To see this happen through baptism, is an amazing thing.

In order to see our need for a Savior, we confess our sins. Without knowing and realizing our need for a Savior, we think how we, a puny human, can somehow make it through this grief stricken world without any help. Sad, really. I hate saying I need the help, but I'm glad that the help I ask for has promised to always keep me safe.

The Exhortation part of the baptism hit me the hardest, I think. The minister says: "Brothers and sisters in Christ: Our Lord commands that we teach his precious truths to all who are baptized. Christian love therefore urges all of us, especially parents and sponsors, to assist in whatever manner possible so that (insert name) may remain a child of God until death. If you are willing to carry out this responsibility, then answer: Yes, as God gives me strength.

Many times I've answered "Yes, as God gives me strength." Then I've thought of all those baptisms I've been through. I've seen people fall away, I've seen struggle between conforming to the world instead of transforming in Christ. God has given me the strength but I've been too complacent to say anything. I've promised to help these baptized children remain a child of God until death. So many times I've said these words but only going through the motions to get this extra part of the church service over with. (I'm ashamed to admit it.)

So what am I trying to say? Here's where I pick up for lost time. Here's where I encourage my fellow Christians to stand up for Jesus. To live a life worthy of the teaching we have received. I tell my students that it's too easy to follow this world, it's too easy to say, "Meh, I'm at least going to heaven." Christ did not die for this. He died so that ALL may inherit eternal life. Ephesians 5:1-2, 15-17 says: "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

I've talked to many people about why they don't speak to others about God's word. Most people answer that they don't want to say the wrong thing, while others don't want to be mocked or disliked by people. This even applies to other Christians. We cannot let this thinking impede our willingness to serve our God and help others who are hurting. I want my family and friends in heaven with me singing praises to God. I don't wish anyone to go to hell. The soul of a person is the most important thing that we have in this life. How we treat it will last beyond this lifetime.

So I ask you, are you willing to carry out this responsibility? If not, go to God's Word, talk to a pastor, or family member, or friend who can encourage you to strengthen your faith. If you need help with encouragement read 1 & 2 Timothy. I continually pray that we all answer "Yes, as God gives me strength!"

Down in the River to Pray

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song