Skip to main content

The Firework Over the Freeway

        When it comes to summertime do you like to plan out what you want to do with the time of the year where warm weather abounds and laid back activities are as numerous as little girls at a Justin Bieber concert? I know I like to start making some key choices towards the end of spring as to what my summer song will be, the beer of choice for summer hang outs, and how much lighter fluid does it really take to make a 2 story flame from my BBQ. I have an idea of what activities I would like to do before the summertime slips away. Some of these activities are: golfing, mountain biking, camping, having bonfires, getting my sandal tan, and sweating off the pounds in the Midwestern humidity. In fact, right now I sit in a humid room with a single clip fan blowing warm air on me while I drink my diet coke from a refrigerated glass bottle (the best way to drink any carbonated drink)

       Now, I mentioned that I usually choose some things in the spring like my summer song, beer of choice, and what to BBQ. Let me start by answering that list backwards. If it can be cooked, it can be grilled. I think I grill about 3-4 times a week. It's really the only way to eat in the summer time. The beer of choice last summer was Landshark, this year I am leaning towards Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Now while I'm sitting outside with a clear blue sky and summer breeze; I like to sit back and listen to music as the BBQ is sizzling while I'm sitting down with a beer in hand. This year I'm feeling Something Corporate's "Walking By" as my summer song, and there are many reasons as to why I chose this song.

      Summer is the time for warm memories, summer flings, and adventures. The song "Walking By" has all of this. The song is about warm memories of a boy who tries his hardest to be noticed by another girl. As this boy wonders what is going on he asks questions as to why she just walks by him. A pretty neat story that most people can relate to. One of the key parts that really makes it my summer song are the strings in the background.

      Whenever I hear the piano mixed with the strings I think of my time spent in both Waco, NE and Fremont, WI. I picture the fields full of either wheat, hay, or corn. I picture myself walking down the long stretch of road just as the sun is setting and the colors in the sky start to change from a brilliant blue to a pronounced purple. I feel the warmth in the air and the fireflies flickering about showing themselves in different places each time. It's one of those events in life where time stands still, you are so alive in that moment even though nothing is really going on. It's feeling that tranquil spirit among nature, breathing it in, somehow being apart of it while knowing millions of other people are in the hustle and bustle of life.

      The next thing that makes this song especially right for me this summer is the one line that is absolutely perfect. "These nights I get high just from breathing.When I lie here with you I'm sure that I'm real, like that firework over the freeway." The nights that I think of are the nights I'm with friends around a bonfire, playing guitar, singing, and watching the stars multiply as the night waxes and wanes. I also think of the nights that I am blessed to have with my wife. The walks down the long country road that we take with our dog. Or the times we spend fishing, or just sitting outside in the hammock enjoying the company of each other. Those are the nights I feel alive. There was actually a night I vividly remember that fit the aforementioned phrase. My wife and I were driving back from a wedding. We were still alive in the spirit of the wedding when our late night excursion took place. We had a good 2 hours to get back home and when we were sitting in silence enjoying the music and our love for each other, we saw a firework go off over the freeway we were driving on. It actually happened to explode in the air above the town my wife was born. I remember thinking of this line and how just breathing (being alive in that moment) was giving me a supreme state of happiness. I'll never forget that memory. 

     So what makes your summer a unique experience for you? Although my summer song has a bit of a sad story to it, it really means much more to me through my life's adventures. This summer, create the kinds of memories that will last a lifetime. Give yourself something to not only look back on, but to look forward to doing again in the future. Give yourself those moments where you get high just from breathing. Instances where you realize it's not a dream, it's real. Have a great summer and remember to drink responsibly.

"Walking By" - Something Corporate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song