Skip to main content

Breaking the Back of Foolish Pride

 Jealous Kind by Jars of Clay

2 Corinthians 11: 1-7, 10-15 - The Apostle Paul speaking to the Christians in Achaia "I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness; but you are already doing that. I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those "super-apostles." I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine. Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do! And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve."

To be completely honest with you, reader, when I decided to do some work on a sink full of dishes, I didn't know my life would be altered just a little bit. When I do the mundane chore of washing dishes by hand (we don't have a dishwasher. I know, it's primitive.) I like to listen to music. Seeing as my computer is still located in the kitchen for IT reasons, I decided to pull up my Jars of Clay playlist. Lately I've been on a JoC kick and I downloaded 3 of their albums that I knew very little of. The very first song that came up was "Jealous Kind." I'll be honest, I didn't know all of the words in which they were saying in the song, but the ones I did pick up on made me look up the rest of the lyrics. I was blown away.

How many times have we looked for the company of fools than the company of friends? We look for people with a logic that just isn't there. You may know those people, reader. They are the ones that just say, "Do what YOU want." "YOLO" (You Only Live Once, or Carpe Diem for those that are educated). Those same people that say who cares about others, it's all about you. It makes me laugh a little because how often do you see them follow their own advice? If they do, are they happy where they are at? Do they make clear and well-informed decisions? Or is their life still in disarray and they know that they can't follow their own advice because it's so hollow and has no parameters that will lead to a positive outcome? You see, when you are lost and you try to figure out how to get out, you will remain lost. As humans, we need rules. We need instructions with how to fix our lives and get back on course. If we have no guidelines, we will forever remain lemmings, following the advice of someone who, too, is lost.

As I stated before, this song was life altering. When listening to the lyrics, I knew of verses in the Bible that talked about God being a jealous God. I also know of the verses that talk about how Jesus' love for us was of that same jealousy. What I didn't know, was the verses that I posted above. I knew of the verses before chapter 11 and after verse 15 but I don't ever recall reading 11:1-15. When I read this, so many people popped into my mind. There are many people, Christians especially, that need to hear this. We learn the words that God has to say to us, but we don't let it work in our hearts. What we have to do is pay close attention to verses 3-5. They say, "But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it." As Christians we have this knowledge of who God is. (Well, as much as we can fathom.) If we keep it in our minds but don't allow our hearts to follow through with our belief, you will be like this person Paul talks about. You will accept or "put up with" anything someone else says.

"As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody...will stop this boasting of mine. And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about." What do those who don't understand what being a Christian means, boast about? From what I've seen it usually is based on wealth, sex, drugs, toughness, or anything that would make them seem like they are the total package. As a Christian I am glad that I don't boast about such piddly, worldly things. So what should we, as Christians, boast about? Jeremiah 9:23 says, "This is what the Lord says: 'Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,' declares the Lord." Let me repeat the important part of that verse, boast about the fact that we know our Savior and we understand why we needed him. If you have this head knowledge, then make sure that you know in your heart why you needed a Savior. Feel that love work inside of you and transform you in the renewing of your mind. As sinful humans, we need this reminder on a daily basis. I know I do.

Now, if you have read thus far and still aren't convinced that you don't need the help of anyone (especially God) then we need to break your foolish pride. In Proverbs 11:2 it says, "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." The hardest thing to do as a human being (and with me, being a man) is letting go and humbling yourself. Laying yourself bare for others to see your problems and worries and letting them help you pick up the pieces. When we decide to not let anyone help us with the puzzle pieces of life, we tend to give up, get frustrated with everyone, and blame everyone else. The second you decide to get rid of that selfish pride, humble yourself before the Lord so that he can lead you through your struggles, you will see a shift in momentum in your life. You will see how the problems of this life are nothing compared to what God can do for you.

Still not convinced? "Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." (Proverbs 13:10) Or, take a look at Proverbs 16. If you are lacking a Bible go here: Proverbs 16 Please, don't skip over these words. They hold much weight when it comes to how our decisions direct our paths.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." (Proverbs 16:25) Make sure you remember Matthew 7:13-14, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Don't take for granted that jealous love that God has for you. If you forget about that, I will use Paul's example and will lower myself to elevate you by preaching the gospel. As long as I have the knowledge in my head and my heart, no one will stop me from spreading the love of Christ.

"Jealous Kind"

I built another temple to a stranger
I gave away my heart to the rushing wind
I set my course to run right into danger
Sought the company of fools instead of friends

You know I've been unfaithful
Lovers in lines
While you're turning over tables with the rage of a jealous kind
I chose the gallows to the aisle
Thought that love would never find
Hanging ropes will never keep you
And your love of a jealous kind
Love of a jealous kind

Trying to jump away from rock that keeps on spreading
For solace in the shift of the sinking sand
I'd rather feel the pain all too familiar
Than to be broken by a lover I don't understand
'Cause I don't understand

You know I've been unfaithful
Lovers in lines
While you're turning over tables with the rage of a jealous kind
I chose the gallows to the aisle
Thought that love would never find
Hanging ropes will never keep you
And your love of a jealous kind
Love of a jealous kind

One hundred other lovers, more, one hundred other altars
If I should slow my pace and finally subject me to grace
And love that shames the wise, betrays the heart's deceit and lies
And breaks the back of foolish pride

You know I've been unfaithful
Lovers in lines
While you're turning over tables with the rage of a jealous kind
I chose the gallows to the aisle
Thought that love would never find
Hanging ropes will never keep you
And your love of a jealous kind
Love of a jealous kind

Comments

  1. Nice. Your son is a fortunate child. I would only say from a reader's peespective that much more of your thought and a little less of JoC (which is an awesome name) is needed. There is a book by William Wilburforce called **Real Christianity** in which the distinction between one who is devoted to Christ and the "Cultural Christian"--the one who uses the term as synonymous with "morality." The only Christian moraliy is to love, which you touch on here. It is the specificity of the last covenant of Christ that completes all things, and brings us peace.

    Readers will want to know how this life is possible, how acepting it makes your life so full. Emerson, from whom we cite "Carpe Diem", was talking precisely about this "how" of accepting this life and urent necessity to Sieze this Day, to accept right now our devotion. He was a preacher and America's nearest mystic and transcentalist. What, for instance and while you were doing the dishes, brought on this fullness? How was this, somehow, your recognition of Christ in you? That's what fascinates and bringas us to our knees. The power of the Saints was not that they were powerful people. Rather, they understood how weary the world can make us and that the absence of sense is a denial of the sometimes awful truth of the fallen man. That leads, if we will take the time or sieze the day, to the often too-bright light of God's love. How you recognize your portion of that is what we want to know. Cheers, Ian, for being among the brave in Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song