Skip to main content

There's No Turning Back

Have you ever had an experience in life that left you wondering what ever happened to the other person involved? Maybe it's a relationship, a friendship, a family member, or maybe even someone you had just met for a brief amount of time. Sometimes we remember them through the feelings we held for them, but were never outwardly expressed. Maybe there was something left unsaid that you wish you could go back and say it, or maybe you wish you could tell them right here, right now the thoughts you've held on to this whole time.

Whatever it may be, I think a majority of us wish we could go back. There are times I wish I could go back and save a friendship from going down the tubes, or maybe try out certain friendships instead of putting that person aside. (I know we aren't supposed to dwell on the past because there is nothing we can do about it, but in reality there is. We can learn from it. These regrets we may carry around can help us shape the person who we are today.) No matter how much we say that we don't have any of these feelings, I know I can think of a handful of people that I wish I could sit down today and have these thoughts unloaded.

Reader, have you ever had that opportunity where you did get to sit down with that other person and tell them how you felt? To be able to unload your thoughts so that they could understand what was going through your mind would definitely allow you to move on with life and feel that satisfaction of knowing that the other person finally knows. I can say that I had that opportunity recently. I was able to sit down for a couple of hours and unload these thoughts and explain myself. Both of us were able to look back and understand where each person was coming from. With everything out, we moved on renewed in our friendship, and respecting each other all the more for getting the guts to talk about such thoughts.

Today's song comes from a band I've probably talked about too much, but hey, I like them, so deal. The song is called, "Restless Dream" by Jack's Mannequin. This song talks about an unfinished discussion that two people need to have. It especially is causing one of them to have a restless feeling because there are things left unsaid.

I write you from this grounded airplane
I wonder how you've been and where you are
A letter to the one who slipped away
A letter for the things that never start

This specifically deals with a person longing for the other person in their relationship. Now, reader, don't read into this from my point of view. I do not wish to contact any previous girlfriends, there is a reason they are no longer in my life. It's best kept that way. I definitely think of those friendships that I do have. It's easy for us to lose touch with dear friends due to distance and I often think of those people.

Oh my imagination running wild
Guess I've missed you from the day that we first met
Crazy, this fascination makes a sound like a twister in my mind
The restless dream we left behind I never will forget

The opening and last statement in this stanza is what we need to focus on. Most of the time we have these thoughts that, if left to stir for a while, become blown up and we start letting them become something bigger than they are supposed to be. Eventually they become restless dreams. Sometimes our first impression of other people stay with us and last for quite some time. It's through this interaction that we are left with an imagination that runs with this one interaction and creates a life influenced by that event.

It's funny how the words we never say
Can turn into the only thoughts we know
But Austin's just so very far away
And I cannot believe I let you go

When we run with that image of what could have played out after our first interaction, we start to long for the chance to say the words we wish we could've said. I love the opening lines of this stanza. "It's funny how the words we never say can turn into the only thoughts we know." To be plagued by these thoughts is a restless thing. We cringe at the thought that we had our window of opportunity and instead of taking it, we watched it shut. A great (and almost pathetic) example of this is the missed connections on Craigslist. All of those people are examples of this stanza in that they wish they would've said something to the person who glanced their way, or whatever weird situation occurred that made them feel restless after it had happened.

And so I called you from the darkness of my room
You'll never be a memory, now you're a restless dream
A restless dream

And so I write to this address that I don't know
You said you had to leave and we lost track
So if you hear this on the radio
I've said it now and there's no turning back

Here, the songwriter is attempting to get these thoughts out in the open so he can no longer have this restless feeling inside of his head. He tries every form of communication (Except Twitter and Facebook) to talk to this girl. Then he writes this song and plays it out for every person to hear so that there is that hope she will finally hear it and contact him so that he can tell her what he's always been wanting to say.

When confronting these thoughts and feelings you must weigh out the consequences because there is no turning back once they are said. So if you are telling a married person your feelings about them, it's probably not the best idea. Or if you are going to tell a friend how much you hate them, once again, I would not advise it. Sometimes it takes a lot of struggle from within to figure out how much this information is worth or if you are allowing your imagination to make it out bigger than it really should be. So, reader, if you have these restless dreams, talk about it with a friend, write it out, or, if it is worth it, discuss it with the person you have those thoughts about. Just remember, once those words are out, there is no going back. In some cases, it's completely worth it, in others, it could ruin all that you have worked for. It's because of these two reasons these thoughts are restless and hard to let go of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song