Skip to main content

Now I'll Never Have A Chance

Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche

The fact that we knew the end was coming shouldn't have surprised me. I was warned that he didn't have much time, I mean, I listened but didn't act on it. Unfortunately the day came. I was told he didn't have much time left, I guess no one knew that a couple hours later, that truth would become a reality. My grandpa died.

From what I knew of my grandfather, he was a man who was respected and loved by many. I especially loved his sense of humor, his giving heart, and his craftsmanship. When I saw him a year ago, he didn't look sick. In fact, the last time I had seen him really sick was around my senior year of high school. I didn't know the cancer would come back so hard this time around.

Usually, when I went to my grandparents, we would do the same old song and dance that I loved. We would discuss whatever was going on in life, Nebraska was usually next since he lived there and I, too, resided there. He'd show me his latest piece of technology and would usually give me the older version of it that he had lying around. Then we would complain about the Padres and, of course, throw the Niners in there. Next would come the craftsmanship. We would step outside into their backyard. Reader, this yard looked like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. When I describe this yard to people they always think of this huge property and are amazed that everything fit into a small piece of real estate in San Diego. When you step outside, you are greeted with flowers and ferns of all types. Everything was laid out precisely and I'm sure that even God saw that it was good. There were homemade lawn decorations and trellises with ivy plants growing up and over them, and then you could see the best part of the backyard, the koi pond. I loved going back there to see all the koi swimming around. It was so serene being able to watch the water cascade down the rocks into the "pond" part where you would see foot long koi lazily swimming about. Both of my grandparents put so much care into their backyard, it truly is a testament of my grandpa and grandma's life.

This, though, wasn't my grandpa's only passion. He was very passionate about music. You see, he was in quite a few A Capella groups. He was the bass if I remember correctly. When you would sit back and hear of all the places he sang at and how proud he was in this craft, you couldn't help but feel that same energy and joy that he had while he told the stories. It's always hard thinking that I won't be able to hear these stories.

Another thing that my grandparents did together was rescue dogs. Their love for their K9 companions was as apparent as the garden in their backyard. They could turn the most scared, depraved, or confused dog into the most loyal companion. I always thought it was funny when he would yell at George. I like to think that I carry a little bit of that when I train Kirra not to do certain things. Thanks Grandpa. haha.

This summer I didn't get to see him in California. My wife and I had a pretty busy schedule out there for the week we were there with friends and I also thought that he would hold on for another year. I guess I wanted to believe he would hold on. Now, of course, I wish I had seen him. I could have said my last goodbye and told him what an amazing grandpa he had been all my life. How thankful I was and still am that he and my grandma helped clothe us, and for all the things they had done for my family. I know he knew I was grateful, I just wish I could've had one more chance to say it. I wish I could've thrown my naivety out of my thoughts and went and saw him before leaving California.

When I think about this, I think of "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World, and how they say,
There's no one in town I know
You gave us some place to go.
I never said thank you for that.
I thought I might get one more chance.
What would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance.
I don't mean this in a dramatic and depressing way, either reader. I am sure there were many things I wish I could say thank you for and that's why I am saying them now, even if it is too late. That's the kind of grandpa he was, you see. Even though he has passed from this life, I still want to thank him for the life he did have. I want to thank him for providing me with a positive role model. I want to have the same kind of heart he did, the same kind of passion for what he did. And for this, grandpa, I say, "Thank you so much." I love you and I pray that you are singing bass in the choir in heaven.

One last thing I want to share with you, reader, is this. My dad told me on the phone that when he was in the hospital room right before my grandpa died, he witnessed something so amazing. My grandpa was lying in the bed, alive, but not really conscious. He breathing was labored and everyone could hear the gasps for air, how it was a struggle every time. My grandmother had the chaplain call for a rabbi (my grandpa was Jewish). Being Rash Hashanah, the chaplain said that the rabbi was really busy. Well, the rabbi called my grandmother's cell phone and she asked if he could say a prayer to my grandfather, even though he wasn't responsive. As the rabbi was praying, my dad said that my grandpa's eyes opened halfway and it looked as though he was fighting to keep them opened. After the prayer ended,  my grandma thanked the rabbi and hung up. My grandpa took 15 more gasps of air and passed away. My dad told me it was as if he was waiting to hear that prayer, that recognition that God was in control and that comforting message, being that last that he heard on earth, was enough to allow him to pass away on this earth. I agree with my dad, it's an amazing story. It shows me that there is nothing more rewarding than the time we are given on this earth and how precious that message truly is. 

Since my grandpa liked singing so much I thought I'd add this song in here, even if he would have never heard it before. Sing by My Chemical Romance

R.I.P. Grandpa, I'll see you in a couple of weeks to say goodbye. I love you.

Comments

  1. Believe it or not, today is exactly 7 years since my own Grandpa passed away. Best man I ever knew. Sorry to hear about yours, as well. Here's a cheers to the both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song