Skip to main content

The Little Things That Make Me Come Back Home

Last night I was watching a movie about a musician who falls in love with a deaf girl. (I must say, it was a pretty emotionally moving movie.) The main idea of the movie was to never give up because something is difficult. The theme is one that all of us must be reminded of from time to time. As the couple falls in love there are the (almost) typical obstacles that they must overcome. The turning point in the movie really made me think. I started thinking of my life. I was sitting there watching this movie with my son sleeping in my lap and my amazing wife next to me on the couch. Life was grand during this thought. (I know this next part is weird) I then started to think about what would happen if I landed in the hospital on the ledge between life and death and I had time to say my last goodbyes to my family. Once again, I know this is a morbid thought, but what would I say?

Knowing myself, I would apologize for something out of my control. I would be sincere in my apologies because I would be leaving them when (for a "normal" life span) I know that I would be too young to die. I would be leaving Parker without a dad that he wouldn't remember except through pictures and video. He would be able to read this blog or maybe see my facebook profile, since you can't delete them. (Trust me, I've tried, you can always go back to it.) I would probably tell Kristin to marry someone to really look after the both of them and to move on with life but don't forget the man I was to her. I would probably tell her how much I love her and how everything was amazing and I never took a single moment for granted. I would tell her about the little things she did that made me love her more, as well as, the huge things that no one else would understand how it changed my life and made me a better Christian, husband, and father. Writing this is depressing, but I have my reasons.

I'm sure you may have thought about this at one point and time. For instance, you may have thought, who would show up my funeral? Who would I say goodbye to? We never want to picture the loss of a loved one or even our being taken away from the ones we love. This is my point: Why think about what we would say at the end when we can say everything right now while everyone can enjoy the message? As human beings, we feel for others but sometimes we take those feelings for someone and we hold them close to our self instead of sharing it with others. The excuses may be because we have been hurt before, we are too macho, it's not your image, you don't want to appear weak or put yourself in a vulnerable position. I think with each of these excuses, it makes more and more people guarded towards sharing positive feelings with others. The song that comes to mind is by Rookie of the Year. (No, not the movie.) It's a song called "Take These Words" by Rookie of the Year

So this is the end
Should we hold our breath now
And the feeling begins
Just like you heard about

I don't really wanna let go till we reach the top
(I don't really wanna let go till we reach the top)
I don't really wanna let you go until we fall in love
(aaaaaaa)

If I could dance in your eyes tonight
I'll whisper your name to say (to say)

I don't wanna waste my time
Never really want to hear about it
Take these words my love

If this is the end
With the whole world watching
I'm driving away
See you again someday

I'm sure this song can be interpreted as a break up song, but I challenge you to see it in a different light. I am focusing on the part that says, "If I could dance in your eyes tonight, I'll whisper your name to say, 'I don't wanna waste my time, never really want to hear about it. Take these words my love.'"

Every time I hear your voice it makes me crazy
Every little word you say makes me dizzy
All these little things that make me come back home
(Come back home)

And we understand
(I understand)
You got me breaking up
(Got me breaking up)
You got me telling you things
That I never told myself before
And my heavy heart
Of all these little things
I do for you

The little things that you do with friends, family, or loved ones really makes a difference. The stuff you do with your loved one can especially make these lyrics hit home. Love makes us do some amazing things. The last part explains it pretty well, "You got me telling you things that I never told myself before and my heavy heart of all these things, I do for you." Everything that we do for our loved ones is because we love them. We want to make sure that they see it. Instead of waiting till the last minute to allow your feelings to show, express them in any way you can. Whisper, shout, dance, or go any other extra mile to show how much every person in your life means to you.  All these little things that make me come back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song