Skip to main content

I Never Said Thank You For That

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
When you read this quote, you can't help but realize how true this statement is. In my short 26 years on earth, I can look back at some instances I faced and see how God directed my ways. It's the rest of my life that I cannot understand as to what will happen. What I do know is that whatever I face, God will always be there. In the mean time, though, there are two quotes we need to look at to polish up this thought of death. 
"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." 
Dag Hammarskjöld

and
"God shall wipe all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:4

We know that death is inevitable (unless Judgement Day comes), and there is nothing we can do about it. The reason why I picked these last two quotes is due to the fact that 1. Death will happen, but how will you be remembered in life, and 2. For those that believe, death is an entrance to eternal glory and happiness; therefore, we have nothing to fear in this life, especially death.

Tonight's song is a tough one to think about. This song took me 2 years to find and once I did, I have always had it in a playlist. The reason for this, is that it's a beautiful reminder of how we should live in this life. We should want someone to think of us when this song is heard. Let's now take a look at "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World.

There's no one in town I know
You gave us some place to go.
I never said thank you for that.
I thought I might get one more chance.
What would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance.

Life is precious, I think we can all agree on that. We do take our appreciation for each other for granted and, with the business of life, it's hard to always be thankful when it's so easy to shrug it off. What happens, though, when you can no longer show that appreciation to a loved one? It's a sad, but true thought. Celebrating life, showing appreciation, and loving others to the fullest is what we need to be more aware of in our lifetime. In honor of that person, we usually speak well of them and tell others of what they did in life. These accomplishments suddenly show themselves to you about him/her and all you can do is think, "How did I not say anything to them while I had the chance?" Don't fret, most of the time actions speak louder than words. Maybe it's hard for you to say the right words to show your appreciation, maybe you can do something for that person, and that little bit of kindness will speak volumes compared to the words you could not produce.

And if you were with me tonight,
I'd sing to you just one more time.
A song for a heart so big,
God wouldn't let it live.

I don't know how I would react with a loved family member or friend on a death bed. If it were one of my friends, I would definitely be by their side as much as possible. I probably would play guitar and sing to them, or share stories, anything to really relish our last moments together. The same would definitely go with family. I actually had a grandparent pass some years back. I remember hearing his frail voice on the phone just days before he passed. I wanted to make the moment last so I listened intently and tried carrying a conversation with him. He actually passed on some advice for my future, his last words to me. Reader, I cannot remember what he said to me. I feel so bad for not remembering or for not even thinking about writing down what he said. I do know this, his last words may have been short and to the point, but the memories I have of him speak much louder.

I tend to think of death as the final kodak moment. Whenever you hear of the death of a loved one, you think of the last time you were with them. You wonder if this picture was one to be remembered or one to regret. I hope that on the day of my last breath, my kodak moment with the various people I've bumped into, is a grand one. If not, let me know so I can see you before then and switch it up ; )

May angels lead you in.
Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in.
May angels lead you in.

The storybook that is one's life is always an interesting story. Some chapters are funny, scary, embarrassing, loving, and a whole slew of other emotions. Make sure yours is one that people will want to share with others. As you continue to go through this life, write chapters that are fulfilling, so that others can see what you did and strive to be the Christian example that God wants you to be.

"That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love."
William Wordsworth

If you are a friend of mine, reader, thank you for all that you have done and will do for me. I love you wholeheartedly, and I cannot do enough to show you the thanks that is due to you. I can only pray that one day, we will continue our journey, from this earth, eternally in heaven. May angels lead you in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song