Skip to main content

This Problem's Gonna Last

How long do problems last? It seems that they can go on for an eternity! I always believed attitudes play a huge roll in our daily problems. Let's take the cliche question, "Is the glass half full or half empty?" If it's half full, then you, clearly, aren't creating any problem for yourself. Your glass is almost full! For me, a problem remains just that, until you find a solution, whether long term, or immediate. This is how we must face our daily life. Are we faced with problems or situations waiting for a solution?

The coolest example of fixing a problem happened many moons ago when the first sin happened. The problem was that Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. What was the solution? Adam and Eve hid...why? Because they knew that they disobeyed God and were scared to face him. God, being all-knowing that he is, found them and doled their punishments accordingly. That is the short term solution, the long term was the promise of a Savior. That Savior would come into the world and die for the sins of everyone. The reward for those who are apart of this solution is incredible! Eternity with God, perfection, no more pain and suffering...no more problems.

The song we will be looking at deals with a man talking with God, or should I say, explaining his frustrations about his life and looking for a way to figure out the solution to his many problems. The song starts with a guy who's feeling alone. He's depressed, alone in his thoughts, and, naturally, starts asking questions.

Do you believe you're missing out?
That everything good is happening somewhere else
But with nobody in your bed
The night is hard to get through

And I will die all alone
And when I arrive I won’t know anyone

Wow, this song doesn't start out super positive. Disclaimer: if you are looking for a feel good song, this isn't it. This is a reflective song, one that needs no explanations really. In fact, I won't be giving much explanation to this song. Reflect as the song keeps going and try to figure out the solution, because, reader, this is a true to life situation that many face. How can you help them?

Well, Jesus Christ, I’m alone again
So what did you do those three days you were dead?
Because this problem's gonna last
More than the weekend

This is my favorite verse out of the whole song, many close seconds, but this one takes the cake. If you don't know what happened the three days of Jesus' death, you should know (in a nutshell) he conquered sin, death, and the devil. Three enormous problems in the everyday sinner's life. And yet, our "problems" last longer than this? Why should they when Jesus has already gave us this awesome solution?!

Well, Jesus Christ I’m not scared to die
I’m a little bit scared of what comes after
Do I get the gold chariot
Do I float through the ceiling

Do I divide and fall apart
Cause my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark
This ship went down in sight of land
And at the gates does Thomas ask to see my hands?

As Christians, we shouldn't be scared to die, our sinful nature creeps in and tries to tell us that this is it. Nothing comes after this life so eat, drink, and be merry! Our songwriter goes on to explain that because of sin, we always come up short, and if it's even possible to prove that we are worthy to enter heaven because of such a sinful life.He continues with this struggle of what he knows to be true and how he deals with it in life:

I know you'll come in the night like a thief
But I’ve had some time alone to hone my lying technique
I know you think that I’m someone you can trust
But I’m scared, I’ll get scared, and I swear I’ll try to nail you back up

So do you think that we could work out a psalm
So I’ll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try
I know you'll come for the people like me
But we all got wood and nails,
And talk dirt at hating factories

This is a struggle for many people, as I stated before. We know what our outcome is, but how are we deserving to be apart of his grand solution? We follow many false prophets, the latest being that the world was going to end. But we need to stay true to our beliefs, study the scripture and know what it says. It seems, though, that, just as the song writer says, we all have wood and nails, and talk trash. We are so ready to deny our Lord, and Savior, to nail him back up on the cross, to yell, "Crucify him, crucify him!" Why? To fit in? To make our lives seem more normal to the world?

Where is the solution this poor man's problem? He knows the Bible, knows what it says, yet he can't get over the fact that he is sinful and tears down (or nails up) the one sent to save him. This man is thinking one-sided. He is thinking on the side of the law. Sure we are not good enough for eternal life, we shouldn't even be considered worthy of being saved. Our all-knowing, all-powerful God knew this and yet, he still sent his Son to save us. This is the other side, the solution, which is the gospel. So reader, when you feel the same way as this man, or come across someone who feels this, remember that sweet saving message. You were once lost, but now you are saved! Live your life with that knowledge and be proud to share it everywhere you go. Don't back down, don't let that sinful nature take over. What did Jesus do those three days? He CONQUERED sin, death, and the devil. He did it for you and me, he created the solution to all our problems.Reader, when you are feeling alone, not knowing where to go, look up and remember, you are loved in Heaven and on earth. You have an amazing support system, and when you feel like you may be taken over by your sinful flesh, know that God will pick you up when you stumble.The problem will not last.

Jesus Christ - Brand New

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song