Skip to main content

This Is My Desire

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." -Romans 12:1-8

With the ever impending school year coming close, some of whom have already started, I thought I'd write encouraging words to all those starting a new year of school, whether student or teacher. After reading the text above, I'll be referencing it every so often to try hitting home the point I want to make. What is the main point? We should have the desire to "let go and let God" or to allow our lives to be used by God.

For those students that are starting up school. You may already have goals set for yourself. Maybe you want to get started on the right foot with your grade point average so you can keep it up throughout the school year. Maybe you want to make a certain sport, or gain a little more friends. Whatever your goal may be, I want you to keep this Romans passage as your theme. I remember when I went into my senior year of high school, I thought I was the big dog, as well as some of my other classmates. Fortunately, I didn't think the same way as some of them. They thought of themselves as the big dog that would pick on weaker ones. I considered myself a big dog that other people would want to look up to as a leader and example.

I specifically remember a freshman by the name of Younger (yes that was his name). Younger was a little bit slower as a learner and had some social difficulties and looked like a runt, in a way that he dressed poor and was skinny. Some of my friends saw this and they would prey on the poor kid making him look bad in front of others. Eventually, everyone joined in on making fun of him. I had known this kid previously in grade school and I felt bad for him. He ran up to me one day after school  because these guys I knew were literally chasing him down the hall. He sat next to me and tried starting a conversation but had trouble due to his heavy breathing from running, and his being scared as to what my fellow seniors were going to do to him. Eventually they did find him sitting next to me. They tried getting him to come over with them but I eventually persuaded them to leave him alone. I remember Younger looking at me as if I had just saved his life. He relaxed a bit and had no problems conversing. He poured out everything to me, how he felt about the school; how he felt like an outcast; how everyone picked on him. This kid had it bad. I didn't mind talking to him and having him around, but after school I liked to focus on my homework, I considered ignoring him, but I'm glad I didn't. If I did, where would he have gone? Who could he have talked to? A couple weeks went by and everything seemed fine, that is, until I heard him yelling in the hallway. He was trying to stick up for himself against these guys I knew. It wasn't very successful for him so I ran into the hallway, told Younger to back off and go into a different room, and I specifically remember yelling at these friends of mine. I felt horrible doing that, because they were friends, but enough was enough. It was my time to lead and I wasn't going to let this happen anymore. They heard me out, and respected what I had to say. Younger eventually left the school and I wish I knew where he was to this day and what he has done with his life.

Although high school is mostly about fitting in and trying to be cool, it's what you do with that being cool. Remember what the passage says, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." A fellow Christian needed help, someone to be there to hear him out and stick up for him when he didn't have the ability to. My friends needed a lesson in humility and, God used me as that reminder. It wasn't fun scolding other Christians for picking on a fellow brother, but it had to be done. 

Students, this also applies with how you respect the teachers. You may not see it now, but they do try (some more than others) to equip you with the tools to succeed in life. Some may seem like they give up, whether it's due to the students lacking maturity or common sense to follow instruction, or the long hours they put in, or whatever other reason, when you see a distressed teacher, try helping them out by being an ambassador. I don't care if you are a lowly freshman or a high and mighty senior. Everyone needs a break once and a while, even teachers. Do all you can to help them carry out the calling that they chose. Let's look to the passage once more, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us." Students, you know your gifts better than anyone else does, use them to the glory of God. Humble yourself so that others may benefit from these gifts, put others before yourself.

Teachers, welcome to another year. Some of you may be starting your first year, and others may have been out for decades, congratulations on making it this far. When you see other people in your faculty having a rough time in their ministry, remember this: "Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." We are all one body with many functions. Some of us are Early Childhood, others are middle to upper grade teachers. Others teach high school and college. Some may have the duty of being choir directors, athletic directors, administrators, principals, and a multitude of other titles. A teacher's job is never done (even during the summer). Even though we may come from different backgrounds, teach in different states, and hold different titles, we all teach with a common purpose and that is to spread God's Word. Essentially we are different parts making up one body, a body belonging to Christ.

When the school year progresses and there seems to be no end in sight, remember those around you. Look to students to help you out in your classroom, especially if they have the God-given gifts to do so. Maybe a parent can step in and help assist in a project, or even another faculty member. Teachers are supposed to be known for their skills in using resources to help educate. Jesus lists resources we can use: "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." As teachers, we should not deny anyone the use of their talents. If someone has a different, unique way of contributing to our classrooms, let them use it to their fullest. They will be more passionate, and maybe others will learn the material in a way you could never have thought of presenting it. 

The same applies to when you are feeling burnt out. Go to others who can help you out. When they realize they have the gifts to do so, as God put it, they will do it cheerfully. It's okay to be humble, teachers, remember this. It's so easy for us to say, "It's my classroom and I do what I want and I won't listen to anyone else." Shut that thought out immediately. You were called to be in that classroom because God knows he can work through you for however long he has you there.Allow him to work through you, empty yourself to him.

I know, reader, that I am specifically singling out the students and teachers, but I also want you to know that it applies to everyone. In fact the song tonight helps drive the point of this post home. My Desire by Jeremy Camp .

I will post the lyrics, but won't go into explaining them. I want you to think about the verse I posted above and then the message of this song. Remember, let go of your ego, and let God work through you for others. 

God's blessings on your school year!

You want to be real
You want to be empty inside
You want to be someone laying down your pride
You want to be someone someday
Then lay it all down before the King
You want to be whole
You want to have purpose inside
You want to have virtue and purify your mind
You want to be set free today then lay it all down before the King

[Chorus:]
This is my desire
This is my return
This is my desire to be used by you

You want to be real
You want to be emptied inside
And I know my heart is to feel you near
And I know my life
It's to do your will
It's to do your will

[Chorus]

All my life I have seen where you've taken me
Beyond all I have hoped and there's more left unseen
There's not much I can do to repay all you've done so I give my hands to use

[Chorus]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song