Skip to main content

Just Keep Your Head Above

Today, I am going to get a little bit real with this post. The music this artist creates somehow makes me feel like he is singing to me, like we have this deep connection. He sings of survival in dark days, in days you don't feel like you can go on any more. He tells you, the world is watching you, what are you going to do? It's these words that dare me to be a better person, that tell me to fight in this life. In fact, the title of my blog: For The Sleepless, and also the URL for the website, come from this guy's music.
Before I get to where I need to be (in the present), I need to go back. I was introduced to this band back in high school. A friend of mine said that his cousin went to a concert in New York and brought back the band's cd. On it was a song called Konstantine, my eyes were immediately opened. Now, my post isn't about this song, but maybe one of these days I'll tackle that masterpiece. The singer, Andrew McMahon would, later, through college and into present day become a hero for me. Andrew started out with Something Corporate and right about the time he was diagnosed with Leukemia, Something Corporate fizzled and Jack's Mannequin took it's place. This new band would give his fans a poetic look into his struggle and eventual power over many things, including this disease.
I remember the first time I heard he was diagnosed. I had never met the guy and immediately I was flabbergasted. I remember whispering, "Why him?" He was my hero, an impenetrable powerhouse of a musician. When I listened to their songs I realized, this spoke to me and the disease I will probably take to my grave. You see, reader, I have type 1 diabetes, a disease that requires insulin to be taken through injections due to the fact that my pancreas is lazy and won't produce any. If I don't take insulin, I can either go in to a coma and die or skip the nap and go to the eternal rest. I wish I could add some fluff and say it's not that bad of a disease. It sucks. It's painful, mood altering, and really prevents you from doing a lot of fun things, like eat sugar.
Back in my senior year of college, I was hospitalized and can remember every agonizing detail. I remember throwing up stuff that burned my throat (too many times to count), I remember not even being able to lift my head or speak by the time I got to the hospital; I still feel the pain coursing through my body until they had to give me morphine. I remember the doctor saying I was 45 minutes away from meeting my maker (paraphrasing). Do I like to relive these memories? No. Is it a part of me, yes. So is this song. This is a song that hits me hard. I want to share this with you so you can kind of understand where I come from with what I deal with and how I deal with it.

Swim by Jack's Mannequin

You've gotta swim
Swim for your life
Swim for the music that saves you
When you're not so sure you'll survive
You gotta swim
And swim when it hurts
The whole world is watching
You haven't come this far to fall off the earth
The currents will pull you
Away from your love
Just keep your head above

As you can see this song is about struggle and trying to overcome it. Andrew compares our struggles to swimming. I remember my dad throwing me in the deep end of the pool when I was young. This is how he taught me how to swim. I remember struggling, panicking, and then hearing him instruct me to kick and paddle. If I didn't hear those two words, all I would have learned to do was dive, and not by choice. This is how I picture my struggle nowadays with diabetes.If you know me, I do joke about it a lot with my friends, mostly because that's how I cope. Most of the time I want people to understand that I can't eat a lot of the things they eat. I shouldn't be doing a lot of things that I do. I do them because I don't want to seem rude by saying, "I know that's all you have, but I can't have it." Most people don't know that I literally have to keep going, I have to consciously save myself. Everyone is looking as to how you (or I) will survive this life. We can't let negativity pull us away from doing what we were made to do, what we are supposed to do.

I found a tidal wave
Begging to tear down the dawn
Memories like bullets
They fired at me from a gun
A crack in the armor
I swim for brighter days
Despite the absence of sun
Choking on salt water
I'm not giving in
I swim

I want to focus on the last half of the chorus here. I swim for brighter days despite the absence of sun, choking on salt water, I'm not giving in. I swim. I continue to pay $240 a month to keep myself alive. In fact, I joke with my wife because you can buy birth control (essentially preventing life) for $20. I have to pay $220 more to keep it going. I continue to do that in hopes that one day they will find a cure. I do walks, I help others raise money. It doesn't look like much is going to happen but despite that thinking, I don't give up. Why?


You gotta swim
Through nights that won't end
Swim for your families
Your lovers, your sisters,
And brothers, and friends
Yeah you've gotta swim
Through wars without cause
Swim for the lost politicians
Who don't see their greed as a flaw

This goes for everyone. We have a voice, a purpose, in this life. We need to be examples for others to keep going. God tells us to be this light, or example in our world, so that they may one day have the hope that we have. Personally, I keep on surviving for exactly what Andrew listed. I survive for my family, my wife, dog, brothers, sister, and friends. I survive through the rough times to come out bigger, faster, and stronger. No matter what I am given, the Lord promises that I will not have more than I can handle. This is why I keep my head above and swim, especially when I am tempted to be swept away by the current.

The currents will pull us
Away from our love
Just keep your head above

You gotta swim
Swim in the dark
There's no shame in drifting
Feel the tide shifting and wait for the spark
Yeah you've gotta swim
Don't let yourself sink
Just find the horizon
I promise you it's not as far as you think

I remember hearing a story about how they train Navy Seals, I don't know if it's true or not, but they make them go under water, it's pitch black and they spin the person around until they don't know which way is up. How can you tell where to go if you can't see anything. The answer is pretty simple. Blow a bubble, whichever way it goes, follow it. Sometimes I feel like this disease is like this scenario. I remember after I was diagnosed, I was sitting in the dorm at CLHS waiting for my ride to pick me up. I had just finished walking the track about 15 times and during that whole time I was wondering which way was up. How was I going to adjust to this life-changing situation. When I went inside, I was sitting at the table with a bunch of friends and out of nowhere I bowed my head and started sobbing. If you know me, reader, I don't cry. It takes a lot for that to happen. In this situation, it was dark and I didn't know which way was up. My friends comforted me, which was great and all, but it didn't cure me. I still have those moments (no, I don't cry) where I can't seem to get my bearings, but I remember what this song says, "Swim in the dark, don't let yourself sink, just find the horizon I promise it's not as far as you think." My horizon is a lot of things. First and foremost, it's God, secondly, it's keeping myself alive for all of the people listed above, and third, it's so I can say I swam a tough course and reached the finish line.

I actually was able to meet Andrew McMahon after his Something Corporate Reunion Tour in Milwaukee. I was able to tell my hero that he, and his message, has always been a huge inspiration in life. I am sure most people say that, but you know what his response was? He asked me what I did with this inspiration. I told him I am an artist. We had a short but meaningful conversation where he actually wanted to hear who I was. I plan on meeting him again sometime in the future, but until then I am going to keep swimming (and not in the Finding Nemo sense so get that out of your head.) I know I lost a lot of my optimistic attitude in this post, but like I said, it's real. There really isn't anything optimistic about it. This song helps me, along with many of the people in my life. I don't want you to feel sorry for me. I am not writing this for pity. This is my story, a story of survival against odds. I want to remind you, reader, keep your head above. Swim.

Swim by Jack's Mannequin

  Meeting Andrew McMahon with Kristin, Meghan, and Matt

 My interpretation of this song. I entered it in a competition but haven't heard back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song