Skip to main content

Walking Like A One Man Army

Non-confrontational is a hyphenated word that best describes me. I don't like to pick fights, I like to take the wait and see approach. Lately I've had a lot of people expressing their opinions of doubt or blindly questioning what I've been doing because of something someone said or because it isn't how things used to be done. I've been rolling with the punches, but even a well trained boxer gets hit every once and a while. As a true Watson, I usually store the anger deep inside of me. I let the person talk for however long and then I just say, "okay" and walk away. I store it, and eventually, it builds within me. I think of how I should've responded, I come up with a conversation between me and that person where I confront them in a tactful, professional way, and then I get angry at myself for not speaking up. A friend recently told me that sometimes you have to speak up for yourself and what you believe because it has more of an impact than if you were to bottle it up and have a conversation about it later. How true is that. But when do you say something? In my line of work, you have to learn to pick your battles, otherwise you will be fighting with a lot of people about things that don't even need to be fought about.

As I bottle things up, I start thinking about the people who say these things. They may not know what kind of impact that has on me, so I need to say something. During this waiting and see approach, the respect I have for that person starts to dwindle. I start closing up more and, in turn, can't feel as though I can talk to anyone  because I feel they will start finding something about me to complain about. I have to remind myself that sometimes, if something is worth fighting for, you should stick up for it immediately instead of letting that person or people start tearing it down. I need to say what I need to say and stand behind it. This is exactly what John Mayer talks about in his song "Say".

Take all of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so-called problems,
Better put 'em in quotations


This first verse goes back to the fact that I bottle up all the frustrations, problems, and disrespect I get. What I need to do is stand up for myself. I need to put my big boy pants on, stand my ground, and defend myself. When I say this, reader, keep in mind that I am not talking about defending myself even if I know I am wrong, I don't need to make excuses for myself, I need to defend the truth.


Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead,
If you could only . . .

This verse represents the part of me that replays the moment of attack. I realize what should've been done but it's too late. I am stuck in that moment where I let someone get the best of me. The thing is, I am not a coward. Most of the time I don't speak up for myself because I either I don't want to keep talking about it; the other person will be relentless; or because I feel like the subject is a waste of time. I don't think I am better than anyone else, I just don't want to start the blame game, or make excuses. In the moment of confrontation, adrenaline runs high and most of the time people fly off the cuff. This is not the person I want to be when arguing, so I do what this verse says, I live out that old moment wishing I could've said what I needed to say.

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Then never say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open


This year my focus is fighting for what I truly believe in. I feel that as long as I let people tear down my walls, they are going to continue to trample on me and I won't be able to recover. I need to relinquish that fear of what others think about me, and start building a name for myself. Not a name that goes by bully or egotistical, but a name that goes by defender of the truth, defender of self-preservation. No matter how afraid I feel at the time, I need to open my heart to the situation and let my words guide me.


Watch out world, there is a new person coming forward. A person who is not afraid to stick up for himself. There will be a person who will not be trampled, who will hold truth on his side. I will not bring excuses but show progress. I will say what I need to say, when I need to defend myself, my Lord, my family, and my calling in life.


I hope you follow me, reader, if you are in the same boat as me. Don't defend for things that are meaningless. Defend noble causes, and defend the truth no matter how far it takes you. Say what you need to say.


"Say" by John Mayer

Comments

  1. There are two kinds of "Watson": the kind who has no governor, and the kind, as you say, who lets things build up. This latter version, it has been my experience, is more diplomatic. I think you called it "choosing one's battles." The former version of "the Watson" thinks everything requires a war. You may have found a way through music, as have certain "Watsons" to compromise, or mediate the two versions.

    As far as defending oneself goes, it seems to me, that each of us determine what is right and what is wrong. For instance, one man's trivia is another man's essence. The business major may wonder what the use value of literature is: what is its profit? For him, materialistically, it is "trivial." If he stops the conversation because he thinks its trivial, stops listening, what is he saying about what you do, who you are?

    Nothing is trivial, in other words. There is a caveate, of course, "nothing is trivial so long as we learn from it." And we all have room to learn. Saint Augustine in The Confessions did not write his confessions for God (for God knows all). He wrote them to and for the love of man, beleiving man begins in love, in God. If man would listen, beyond ideas of constant constructions of "power", he would see who he "still is": a creation made from and in love. "Otherwise" Augustine goes on to confess, "What would he learn."

    Strangely, even an Atheist, if he listens, learns something from this. Albert Camus, a devout atheist whose dissertation was an analysis of Augustine, learned enough from him to say: "I will speak my peace ... So that the suffering of man be lessened." It, in my estimation, is not simply right to "say what you need to say" but a moral obligation to say it: to show others that each of us contain and are in fact bodies of knowledge. To give that knowledge is an act of love. As Mother Theresa once said: "You will be persecuted for doing good. Do good anyway."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song