Skip to main content

This is your life, I Dare You to Move

Today I watched a movie called "Awakenings". This movie was based on a true story of a doctor who tried to bring back catatonic patients. A miracle drug proved effective bringing back people who were "lost" for 20 years. There is one part where Robert Deniro's character talks about life with Robin William's character. Awakenings - the joy of life Later in the movie Robert Deniro's character goes on to say how much people forget about how precious life is. He knew what it was like to have the simplest pleasure slowly taken away from him. He explained how he wanted to simply go for a walk, something people take for granted. To be able to choose to walk to the left, right, or straight ahead. As he would go for his walk, he would stop and talk to people, window shop, do all those things that we forget to find joy in. I sat there watching this thinking, how right he is. Here, I go through this life acting like a catatonic person. I forget about the little joys in life that God has given me. As I was thinking about this I thought of two songs by a group called Switchfoot. The first song: This is Your Life by Switchfoot

Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you've broken
Don't close your eyes, don't close your eyes
This is your life and today is all you've got now
Yeah, and today is all you'll ever have
Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes

In "Awakenings" the patients that "woke up" knew of what the past gave them and they knew that this was a new start. They weren't going to continue to look back, they were going to live life anew, knowing that this was a very precious second chance. Every day you wake up is a brand new chance to live your life anew. You have the choice to bring frustrations over from the day before, the choice to trudge into your work with a huge LIFE SUCKS stamp on your forehead. God has granted you a new day, a day to live in such a way that other people will look up to you and want to do what you do, that is, enjoy life. The griping and complaining doesn't show a life of joy, but a catatonic state of mind that needs to be shaken. As the verse says, "Don't close your eyes, this is your life and today is all you've got now." There may be no tomorrow. Your time of grace could end today, live it in a way that lead others to be like you.

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be?
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Sure, there are some things in life we may not be completely content with, such as our jobs, our way of life, maybe even some temptations that we give in to. Ask yourself this, reader, did you wake up to a brand new day? How many opportunities were you given to show who you really want to be. You may go through the day wishing it would end, but what would happen if tomorrow never came? You have everything to lose today, don't let all the great things that today presents pass you away because you have chosen to give up. Isn't that why they call today a gift because it's the present?

This is where the response comes in. The song that helps us move towards living that life we desperately should live while in the present is called, I Dare You To Move by Switchfoot

Welcome to the planet
Welcome to existence
Everyone's here
Everyone's here
Everybody's watching you now
Everybody waits for you now
What happens next
What happens next

A new day has started, you wake up knowing you have been given a new day to make an impression on the world. How are you going to accomplish this task? People watch you, they may not know you, or they may be close family and friends. What do you do?

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened before

So many people fall to peer pressure in this day and age. Most of it from the media, from social sites, or from friends or colleagues. We have become numb to living for who we are and why we were made. So reader, dare people to get up and live life to the fullest. Today has never happened before. How are you going to leave your mark? If you wake up tomorrow, how will you live? I know that I still have some hours left in this day to make up for the times I didn't live it to the fullest from the time I woke up. How is your outlook on life as you read this? What was your overall mood today?

Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
Tension is here
Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be

Have you ever done something nice to a person and they looked at you as if you were doing something completely strange? I love it when people give me that look. Maybe the opposite has happened to you when someone was nice to you and it completely made your outlook on life a little bit brighter. What I'm trying to say is this, we live in a world where opposition is greeted with a handshake and a hug. We prowl the internet trying to prove others wrong, or we look for ways to put down others so we look good. Tension is everywhere. Break free from all these unnecessary evils. It's as the lyrics state, the tension is between who you are and who you could be, how it is and how it should be. All too often we say, "Well, I could be nicer but what have they done to deserve it?" or "I could stand up for you, but I don't want to look bad in front of my friends." I hate it when people throw in that stupid excuse starting with BUT. There is a way we should live, it's cut and dry, and yet, we always come up with an excuse not to do good because that means we actually have to take a stand for something. BREAK THE TENSION, BE IMITATORS OF CHRIST!

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here

We have been so graciously saved from an eternity of pain and suffering that was destined for all of us. Instead, God in his such unconditional love, sacrificed his son so that we don't have know of death, or destruction. Where do you go when you feel like your day can't get any better? Do you find yourself giving up? Or are you like Job, praising God through all the horrible things that come your way? BUT why should I praise God? Probably because you are still his child, saved by grace, and living in a world that allows you to spread the same gospel message you once heard as a child!

Promise yourself, reader, that you will not go through the rest of the day living in some sort of pit where only despair is your company. Live as a person seeing the world through new eyes. Spread your joy and love to others who really need it. Be kind even if someone is not "deserving" of it. As our song states:

I dare you to move
Like today never happened before

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song