Skip to main content

Time Doesn't Wait

Lately I've been talking to people and seeing reports about people who are passionate about following their dreams or doing something spontaneous. I would like to think that I try to do these things as much as possible. Of course, there are some things I never really was able to cross off my "to do" list. I never was able to teach in a foreign country (yet), go to England and visit some of the Victorian Age writers' homes, hike into the wilderness and enjoy the beauty of God's creation, you know, fun stuff. haha. I realize that there are some dreams that may never come to fruition, that's why they are called dreams. Then again, to reach for the stars, isn't such a bad thing either, right? I mean, I am still, in a way, young.

With certain choices, we must face the responsibilities that come with it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing either. I did cross off one dream on my list, and that was to live with my best friend. Ever since college, I have been doing just that. Even if I somehow try to live vicariously through the abundance of friends that I have that have gone to other countries and taught, or picked up their things and got out of civilization for an extended period of time, I have found that where I may not be able to do that, I can accomplish and fine tune other dreams that I have obtained in my 26 years of life.

Recently I talked with a friend who was filling out an application to go teach English in South Korea. This was always a goal of mine going into college. I never did reach that goal, but I did meet a South Korean and became great friends with him. haha. Even though I never did obtain that dream, I simply traded it in for another. I taught one year in a high school, teaching English to Freshmen and Juniors, and a year later married a beautiful woman who happened to be my best friend. To those following their list of aspirations, I give you the song of the night. Foreplay/Long Time by Boston

I know what you are thinking, what is he thinking posting a song with this title in it. Well, reader, let me tell you how awkward it was when I asked my dad to teach me this song on the bass, then wondering what it was called. I'm glad you taught me this song, dad. It is a great song that goes well with the theme of following your dreams.

It's been such a long time
I think I should be goin', yeah
And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'
Sail on, on a distant highway
I've got to keep on chasin' a dream
I've gotta be on my way
Wish there was something I could say.

There comes a time in life where everyone seems to become discontent. You feel like every day you wake up you go through the motions of the same old routine, feeling like life is passing you by while you sit at a computer or deal with angry customers for hours on end. It's like the writer states, time doesn't wait for anyone. You have to keep chasing that dream, and if that means sacrificing some other dreams to fit this one dream, then so be it. Everyone has that white buffalo dream. It's that dream where you feel like Garth and Wayne bowing down thinking you aren't worthy of obtaining such a righteous thing in life.Where would all the great people in the world be if they didn't chase something they believed in?

Well I get so lonely when I am without you
But in my mind, deep in my mind,
I can't forget about you
Good times, and faces that remind me
I'm tryin' to forget your name and leave it all behind me
You're comin' back to find me.

Even though you may put other things on hiatus for this one dream of all dreams, you must realize that without the support of family and friends, it makes it very hard to share in the joy you will have once you've obtained this once elusive idea. The loved ones in life always make our little victories the biggest events. I know there are some things that you must do to prove to yourself, but with no one to share it with, there is kind of an empty victory in the work you put into coming out on top.

Well I'm takin' my time, I'm just movin' on
You'll forget about me after I'v e been gone
And I take what I find, I don't want no more
It's just outside of  your front door.


It may take us a while to reach our goals in life, but once you make some sort of move in a forward direction, you will continue getting closer to reaching your destination. Some people may come and go in your life but the life lessons you learn and take with you on your journey will help shape the person you will become when you have reached your goal.


What are your goals reader? Have they been lost in the paperwork of life? Clear your calendar and start making some moves in a positive direction, helping you get closer to that feeling of accomplishment of reaching the reward of your labor. It's just outside your front door.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song