Skip to main content

Took Our Chance, Crashed and Burned

Have you ever found yourself completely shutting down, completely falling apart? It's so easy for us to sit back and say I can't or I'm not as good as this other person. You end up knocking yourself down so much that it's hard to recover. Eventually darkness looms over you and you can't help but be swallowed up. Stress gets to each and every one of us. In order to break it, you have to find your own way out. Go to a place that no one can take from you. Whether it's getting lost in a book, art, music, or some other activity. The realization for turning that stress into something productive is vital to survival.

In today's song, there is a struggle. As a literature major, I always look for the struggle that the hero must endure. Reader, what struggles are you going through? Are you struggling within yourself, with another human, maybe the forces of nature? Whatever it may be, this next song helps me battle through these stress induced situations. So let's take a look at "Alibi" by 30 Seconds to Mars. Alibi by 30 Seconds to Mars

You can easily read this song as a struggle between two people. I am going to steer away from this and only focus on the struggle between a person and their self. It's so easy to point the finger and blame. What about owning up to your own mistakes, realizing that inside you can't expect to fix yourself without diagnosing the problem, even if the problem is quick and unclear.

No warning sign, no alibi
We faded faster than the speed of light
Took our chance, crashed and burned
No we'll never ever learn


If it helps, just convert the subject to "I". Usually, when we struggle with something it develops over time. When we do start to fade we automatically come up with our alibis. Who else was there to cause it? Was it a random series of events that caused our downfall? Whatever it may be, usually there are no warning signs as to when the complete and utter shut down happens. When we build up the lies to ourselves, we try to diverge the problem, and then it creeps up and when it hits, we crash, hard.


We both could see crystal clear
That the inevitable end was near
Made our choice, a trial by fire
To battle is the only way we feel... alive

As you try to regain your footing in life,  you know that until you can face the truth, nothing will ever be okay. If you keep stacking lies upon lies, you, then, have to go through each layer trying to fix everything. In turn, the time it takes for you to solve your problem, you become so overwhelmed that you quit or break down. You know that in order to save yourself you must fight all temptations so this problem will stop growing within you. You, then, start to fight with yourself, with the emotions growing, you may end up hating the person you have become. Let me tell you though, reader, fight to stay alive; to be free of burden and guilt.

I fell apart, but got back up again
And then I fell apart, but got back up again
And then I fell apart, but got back up again

So here we are, the witching hour
The quickest tongue to divide and devour
Divide and devour

You get up just to fall again, you go until you the hurting stops and the numbness sets in. You fight with everything you've got and then you hit the wall. You fall again. You can't go on, but you don't have a choice, you must find the truth amidst an ocean of lies and deceit within yourself. It's time you saw clearly again. So you fight your inner demons, conquering them one by one, you divide and devour them with an insatiable hunger for truth, for your own justice. What is your hope that gets you through it all? It's so that you can go to that one place where no one can take anything from you. Where your soul feels free, unchained by sorrow and temptation.

If I could end the quest for fire,
For truth, for love and my desire
Myself

We should all strive to get out of the flames that burn you for so long and into the cooling waters of the truth. The ultimate search for clarity to put out the flames of hatred, lies, and the lust for cruelty. We must get up so we can search for truth, love, desire, and so that we can find ourselves again. To remember who we were before all this happened. Isn't that enough to get you out of a stress induced life?

I fell apart, I fell apart
I fell apart, I fell apart
I fell apart

But got back up again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Are Looking For

Let me start by asking you a simple question. What are you looking for in life? In order to answer this question, you have to take a look at your wants and/or needs in life. For instance, right now, I am looking for a fridge because using two dorm fridges just doesn't quite add up to a regular sized fridge. Also, I am looking for a way to escape the humidity without central air conditioning. Another thing I am looking for is a cure to diabetes. In fact, if anyone has one, I will gladly use it because the cost of insulin just went up again. Sorry, I shouldn't be ranting, I should feel blessed there is a way to keep me alive. With these three examples, I have shown some of the things I am looking for in life. Granted there are many things in life we are looking for, but in today's song I will introduce that there is the answer to what we are looking for. Today's song comes from an artist by the name of Shawn Mcdonald. This artist has amazing guitar skills along with voc

There's A Love That Is Fiercer Than The Love Between Friends

I feel as though I've been away too long. I apologize for my absence, a lot has happened since my last post. I traveled to California to help out my grandma and be with my family during the adjustment of my grandfather's passing. It was amazing being able to be with family again. I can't remember the last time we all were gathered together like that. Coming from a man that doesn't get this often, it truly was one of those experiences that I will never let go of any time soon. I realized while I was out there, how much I miss them and being able to see them day to day. After my trip, the time change (and lack of sleep catching the red eye back) left me exhausted during the week, for once, I was sleepy instead of sleepless. I also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. Now we move forward, with a twinkle in my eye, a pep in my step, and carpel tunnel forming in my fingers, I continue to write on. My dog has a sweet mustache even though she&#

Optimistic Fantasy

In my opinion, I think it is every (male) artist's agenda, whether hidden or not, to get the girl through their craft. A good example of this would be poetry, which, in turn, if you add instruments, you get music. This craft of trying to woo the girl through music has definitely been hit or miss through the ages. When you get fed up with it, you end up with some of the Shakespearean Sonnets that don't speak very well of women, but when you do put the right type of imagery, metaphors, or similes, you can really attract that certain someone. How do you think Hanson, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber did it. It couldn't be that teens are hormonally enraged and can't think clearly....so it must be the music. HA! Let's be serious now. You think of All 4 One with their song, "I Swear" or Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" and how even the listeners use the songs to get that certain someone. Let's face it, there is a love song